IRCTC Full Form is Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation. It is a subsidiary of the Indian Railways, which handles the food, tourism and online ticketing operations of the Indian Railways, with around 5,50,000 to 6,00,000 bookings every day, across the world. Its tagline is “lifeline of the nation”.
IRCTC was launched on 27 September 1999. It has since expanded its operations and now plays an important role in the development of Indian Railways. It is one of the largest e-commerce portals in India and one of the major revenue source of Indian Railways. Its revenue is more than the famous e-commerce site Flipkart.
As of 2013, it had around six lakh registers users. There are about five lakh bookings daily. Apart from online ticketing, it also organizes various package tours. Some packages are – Palace on Wheels, Bharat Darshan, and Golden Chariot etc.
The headquarter of IRCTC is located in New Delhi. In addition, IRCTC has five regional offices located at Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Secunderabad. It received several awards. In 2009, it was declared the Most Innovative Project Award by PC Search. It won India’s Web Site of the Year award in the year 2014 and the National Tourism Award in 2008.
Advantages Of IRCTC
- It provides online payment facility for tickets through Net Banking, Credit or Debit card.
- Provides travel card for frequent travelers.
- Provides special train booking facility.
- Provides Tatkal ticket booking facility
- Apart from this, Flight Booking facility has also been introduced.
- Provides ticket status check facility and seats availability.